Culture of Life Ministry
Vision: To proclaim the sanctity and value of all human life as a Gift from God and the foundation of human dignity from conception to natural death.
Mission: To foster the deepest appreciation for the sanctity of human life through prayer, education and the organization of opportunities in the community to give witness to the Gospel of Life. The Culture of Life Committee at Saint Ambrose Parish works with the Catholic Diocese of Cleveland to implement the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops Pastoral Plan for Pro-Life Activities, in order to create awareness of the dignity of life from conception to natural death and organize to support our community with life affirming programs.
What exactly do we do?
- Inspire & educate our day school and PSR students to be pro-life.
- Educate our parishioners on abortion, end-of-life issues, adoption, in-vitro fertilization, natural family planning, human trafficking, health care mandates, and other issues.
- Work in conjunction with our priests to promote the sanctity of life.
- Participate in The Gospel of Life – Evangelium Vitae Study Group, held biannually. This is a 6 week study on Pope St. John Paul II encyclical for those looking to deepen their understanding of the Church’s beautiful teachings on the sacredness of human life.
- Attend the annual March For Life in DC.
- Attend the annual Medina Life Chain in October.
- Raise money and collect baby items for the local organizations to help mothers and families.
- Participate in the Walking With Moms in Need initiative to support mothers in our community by sharing local resources and supporting those resource centers.
- Participate in 40 Days for Life campaigns where we pray the rosary outside abortion clinics and hold signs saying “Pray to End Abortion.”
- Attend the National Day of Remembrance for Aborted Children held annually in September.
Interesting in getting involved?
We welcome anyone with new and creative ways to educate our parishioners and school students to increase the awareness of the pro-life message. We’re looking for individuals with a passion for protecting life at all stages and want to get involved in our many pro-life activities. The best way to help is to PRAY! If you would like to find out ways to support our culture life mission, please contact Trish Shaw.
When do we meet? The Culture of Life Committee meets as needed. Call Trish Shaw to confirm meetings.
Catholic Church Teaching About Life
“Human life must be respected and protected absolutely from the moment of conception. From the first moment of his existence, a human being must be recognized as having the rights of a person – among which is the inviolable right of every innocent being to life.”
~ Catechism of the Catholic Church 2270 ~
Basic Principles of Catholic Social Teaching
The Church’s social teaching is a rich treasure of wisdom about building a just society and living lives of holiness within the challenges of our society. Modern Catholic social teaching has been spelled out through a series of papal, conciliar, and episcopal documents. The depth and richness of this tradition can be understood best through a direct reading of these documents. But in these brief reflections over the next few weeks, we will highlight several of the key themes that are at the heart of our Catholic social tradition. So please keep reading this column and then think about how good a job we as individuals and as a community of faith are doing, in believing this and living this….View the 7 Basic Principles of Catholic Social Teaching.